Thursday 9 July 2009

San Diago

Cooking has always been a passion of mine since i was young. I remember the kitchen in Garforth where i used to live. I remember the smells of the kitchen and the way my mum used to shuffle around awkwardly in between the narrow gaps. I remember trying to imitate her with my play dough oven and how i used to pretend to be a master baker and cook up all these fantastic cakes and biscuits with my multicoloured play dough.

And throughout my childhood i carried on this tradition. learning the ropes, i started off with scones, flapjacks and gingerbread. I then moved on to more difficult dishes in the later years. Now i love to experiment with food, creating different dishes inspired from different experiences I've had and the things i read about in books and the programs on TV.

And i must have had an impact on my family because wherever i go around the country to see them, they always ask about their own favourites. Jon's favourite is coffee cake. I made him one for the first time since being here this evening. suffice to say, it didn't last long!! although he did have the audacity to complain about the level of Nescafe in the icing...

The last couple of days have been hectic. Jon has needed a fair amount of help with a camping trip we are going on this weekend. I've also been busy putting together some new business cards and a motion image clip that can be played as a countdown before services.

I was lucky enough to get invited down to San Diego on Wednesday to go watch a concert with a guy called Dave. It was at the house of blues which is a renowned venue around the States. We enjoyed a few beers, some good food and the concert was fantastic. I don't think I've been to a better venue for design and all around sound. We went back to Dave's aunties house in Escondido. We arrived back late so i didn't get to see the house but in the morning when i woke up in my flower decorated room i looked around a beautifully constructed house with an incredible view over the southern Californian landscape. A pancake breakfast later and were on the road to Temecula, one of the wine regions in California. We met up with some of Dave's family from Florida and enjoyed some wine tasting before enjoying a meal in the town centre.

I love the old style American towns with the western style buildings, old signs, wooden panelling and the variety of Pro-America signs. I know its something my Dad loves and he often talks about his fascination of western films from when he was growing up. Temecula was very much this type of town, trying to sell you everything from antiques to root beer, tobacco to cowboy hats and of course they're treasured wine.

Arriving back in Glendora, i got straight back to work and completed the two tasks i wanted done by the end of this week, which means i don't have to do anything over the weekend...

Heading off tomorrow morning for the camping trip. Should be really good but its a pain (no pun intended) that i wont be able to participate in much due to my ankle injury. Latest pictures, which Jon insists on taking are available on facebook at a free cost.

1 comment:

  1. Mate, I was with you in Temecula....am drinking in that old style rustic feel. Also,I'm only just realising how alike we are - what with your love of cooking and my culinary craft. There's more than one way to cook a sausage, wouldn't you agree??
    Keep that sleeping bag zipped up tight on your camping trip and remember that rattle snakes usually come in pairs! Sleep tight and sweet dreams.

    ReplyDelete